Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Kinder&Garden

I've dreamt about having my own garden for years. I'd picture myself in pioneer-type dresses with large straw hats out my small patch of dirt with various vegetation planted and cared for by my own hand. This dream carried with it a fear, however. A fear of failure, of not possessing the "green thumb" spoken of, and shadowed by my mother's extensive knowledge of plants. This as well as- how do I know I'm not doing it wrong? How do I know the need for each little plant? Living in Arizona gave me a good excuse from un-attempting my garden dream. But here in Georgia, I knew it was time. At Thanksgiving time, a visit from my Father in Law resulted in my very own above ground garden plot complete with top soil. After the last winter's frost and a trip to the local nursery, I knew it was time to take the plunge- plant those seeds and see what happens. And guess what? It works! You actually take some seeds, plant them in the dirt, water them everyday, and they start to grow!
A similar thing happens with kids. My little garden of children have grown so much this past year. In less than a month, my two 3 year olds will become 4. They can write their own names, completely dress themselves, and wear big kid underwear. In less than a month, my two 2 year olds will earn "and a half" at the end of their age. They can wait their turn, share their fruit snacks, and climb on the playground all by themselves.

Thankfully, there's still lots of time for more growth and changes.


An example of Claire writing her own name all by herself with no prompts. Clay also write his clearly and correctly. They look forward to school...a time when I will have to grow a little bit by letting them out of my nest and into the big world out there- a very scary thought.



4 comments:

Erin Leigh said...

oh, you must have just updated this! like, after we talked on the phone or something? good for you! good play on words. :)

Sandra Nixon said...

Thanks for writing! Is your hubby home yet? I keep thinking about you and wondering how things are going for you:)

Lindsay said...

I'm glad to hear from you. It's been awhile. Your kids have grown so much. I was just looking at pics of Clay and Claire riding in the Power Wheels with Grant in front of my house before our move. Where has time gone? Sandra mentioned James gone. Where is he? Congrats on the garden. I did that when I moved to Prescott but mine got eaten by javelina. It was a sad day in the Mellen home.

Mom&Dad said...

Yea! I finally found your blog and have it on my reading list. I'm feeling very high tech because now I have yours and Jon's and Terri's. Isn't that cool? I'm getting all caught up on stuff I should have been reading 3 months ago. Mom